The personal injury lawyers at Speers, Reuland & Cibulskis, P.C. in Aurora have significant experience representing Northern Illinois construction workers who have suffered on-the-job injuries. Ladder accidents occur frequently on construction sites, and may give rise to third-party injury claims when property owners, contractors, subcontractors, ladder manufacturers, suppliers, and other potentially liable parties cause or contribute to ladder-related injuries.
Factors Causing Ladder Accidents on Construction Sites
According to an article published by American Society of Safety Engineers, elevated falls account for one-third of industrial accidents and half of fatal construction accidents. Many of these accidents occur when workers are using ladders, one of the most common and unassuming pieces of equipment found on construction sites.
Ladders are inclined to tip, slip, slide, and may break if they are old or under strain. A ladder can even catapult a person through the air given the right circumstances. Factors causing these types of ladder accidents and others include:
- Failure to provide fall protection for workers on ladders, such as spotters, restraints, and barricades
- Failure to properly train workers using ladders
- Failure to regularly inspect ladders for defects
- Supplying workers with improperly maintained or old ladders
- Using metal ladders around electricity
- Using the wrong sized ladder for a job
- Propping ladders on top of another object to reach a greater height
- Requiring workers to carry too much material while climbing ladders
- Using a ladder on a slippery or unstable surface
- Failure to ensure ladders have slip resistant feet
- Leaning ladders against an unstable supporting surface
- People, equipment, and/or vehicles colliding with ladders and throwing them off-balance
A fall from a ladder can result in very serious injuries. Short of death, a victim may suffer head and back injuries that require a lifetime of treatment. The attorneys at Speers, Reuland & Cibulskis, P.C. have extensive experience handling catastrophic injury cases, and work tirelessly to ensure our clients receive maximum compensation for present and future losses.
Contact an Experienced Aurora Personal Injury Attorney after a Ladder Accident
If you live in Northern Illinois and have sustained a serious injury as the result of a ladder accident at work, please contact the Aurora personal injury lawyers at Speers, Reuland & Cibulskis, P.C. for a free initial consultation.
Se habla español.